Adapted From: http://latterdaycents.com/in-the-kitch/entrees/copycat-chipotle-chicken-burrito-recipe/ Which appears to no longer be a site 🙁
My wife and I love Chipotle chicken burritos but it’s not always feasible to go out and get them AND this recipe is exponentially cheaper to make at home. You’ll find that since she and I like slightly different things in our burritos that the recipe contains everything needed to appease both of us. Read through and adapt for yourself depending on your preferences.
- 1 8oz. brown rice (you can use instant)
- 1 8oz. white rice (you can use instant)
- 1 package burrito size flour tortillas (we prefer
- 4-6 chicken boneless chicken thighs (you could use 2 breasts if you wanted instead)
- 1 15 oz. can organic black beans
- 1 tub sour cream
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 large leaves Romaine lettuce, cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 tbsp. butter or margarine
- Mild Salsa
- Guacamole or 1 whole Avocado
To Make Chicken
- Mix the 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, 2 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. chili powder and 1 tsp. oregano in a small bowl.
- Heat skillet with the oil until hot.
- Coat both sides of the chicken with spices and place in skillet.
- Cook 3-4 minutes per side until cooked through.
- Using kitchen shears or a knife, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces. Set aside and keep warm.
- Next, add the diced onion to the skillet. Cook until onions are golden and carmelized.
- Remove and place into chicken bowl, toss, and keep warm.
To Make Rice
- Cook rice according to package directions*.
- Once cooked, add 1 tbsp. butter, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 tsp. lime juice and 2 tsp. minced cilantro.
- Lightly toss.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Open, drain and rinse the black beans. Then microwave them for 2 minutes so they’re warm.
- Stick a spoon in the sour cream container.
- Pull out the bag of 4 cheese Mexican cheese
- Rough chop some cilantro and place in a bowl for garnishing
- Stick a spoon in some guacamole OR chop up an avocado instead.
- RoOugh chop some lettuce and place in a bowl.
Building Your Burrito
- Heat a tortilla in a cast iron skillet until it’s soft and pliable. You may want to lightly wet it first.
- Scoop in a bit of the diced chicken/onion mix, white or brown rice, black beans, and then any combination of the additional ingredients that you want.
- Tuck in the top and bottom and roll into a tight, fat, delicious burrito.