Boy did I have a hard time today just getting VMWare Workstation 11 installed on my Windows 10 system at home. Over and over again, it’d get part way through and error out with error 29141.
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 29141.
Lot’s of Googling later I had:
- Stopped the VirtualBox VMs I had running.
- Manually audited my registry entries and program files folders for any lingering parts of VMPlayer (which I previously had installed).
- Removed a linger entry for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vstor2-mntapi10-shared
- Downloaded RevoUninstaller to ensure everything was truly gone.
- Manually audited my systems virtual hardware for any VMWare virtual NIC’s.
- Cleared the temp folder for my user’s profile.
- Tried a different user’s profile on the system.
- Temporarily disabled AVG Anti-Virus.
- Tried installing version 10 and 9 which both exited with the same error.
NONE of these things worked for me. Ultimately I copied the installer to the root of my C:\ drive. Created a VMWare folder in it. Then had the installer install to that directory and store VM’s in a sub folder of that directory. Shouldn’t have had to do all that, so I’m posting to save others some pain.
Hope it helps.